This Policy will explain the following:
- Personal Information – What personally identifiable information is collected from you through the website and how it is used.
- Sharing – Why we share limited personal information with vendors, third parties, and when required with legal authorities.
- User Choices – What choices are available to you regarding the use of your data.
- Cookies – What cookies are and how we use them.
- Security – The security procedures in place to protect the misuse of your information.
- Corrections and Control – How you can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
- Other Legal Provisions – What legal provisions apply such as governing law, arbitration, jurisdiction and other important provisions.
This Policy is part of our Terms of Service that govern the use of our sites, social media presence, and online services.
By using this site, social media outlet, or online service you are consenting to the collection, use, disclosure, and transfer of your information as described in this Policy (and any applicable Privacy Notices). If you don’t consent to such use you may not use this site or service.
Some, but not necessarily all, of the information we collect may be “personally identifiable information” — information that identifies you personally. As legally defined, “personally identifiable information” refers to details collected on the Internet about an individual consumer, including an individual’s first and last name, a physical street address, an email address, a telephone number, a Social Security number, or any other information that permits a specific individual to be contacted physically or online. The term extends to details such as a person’s birthday, gender, personal history information (e.g. security question answers) that are collected online and stored by an operator in a personally identifiable form.
What Information Is Collected
We collect and use the information, including any personal information, you provide when you use our sites, social media outlets, or online services. We may obtain your information, including personal information, you previously provided to a third-party social media platform (e.g. Facebook or Twitter). We may also collect information sent to us automatically by your web browser or mobile device. This information depends on your device and service settings, but typically includes your IP address, the name of your operating system, the name and version of your browser, the date and time of your visit, and the pages you visit.
When you create an account with Catholic Answers we typically collect:
- Name (First and Last)
- Email Address
- Phone Number (cell, home and/or work)
- Home Address
When you make a donation or purchase we also collect:
- Credit Card information
From time to time, additional information such as alternate contact information or place of work may be acquired by the user’s consent.
Information obtained under this provision, other than your first name, is NOT made public. Some third-party vendors, including those necessary for credit card transactions, spam filtering, and other services necessary to keep your information secure, will have limited access to your personal information.
How Your Information Is Used
We use the information we collect to meet your service and information requests as well as to provide you with the best possible customer service.
Any personal information contained in user-generated content (UGC) on our sites, social media outlets, or online services can be read, collected, or used by others and is outside our control. We also may use, with or without your consent, limited information for advertising or promotional purposes, including your name, comments, and general location. With respect to UGC you should have no expectation of privacy because this is information you voluntarily share with the world.
We may provide functionality that encourages you to automatically post information to a third-party social media platform (such as Facebook or Twitter) and such information may include your general location, name, purchases, and /or social media identity. You should have no expectation of privacy in those actions. If you choose to link your profile to any of our sites, social media outlets, or online services with an account on a third-party social media platform, we may share the information in your profile with that third-party platform. We may also use third-party social media platforms to offer you interest-based appeals derived from your personal information.
Your personal information may be transferred to a successor organization.
We thank you for engaging with Catholic Answers and we want you to know that we take your personal information seriously. In the course of business we partner with various companies, agencies, and vendors to make sure you provide you the best service possible. That service includes the protection of your personal data. Below are the ways your information may be shared. Please know that we limit the sharing of information only to what is commercially necessary to accomplish the task at hand.
We may transfer necessary customer information to service providers, vendors and other companies who support our business, delivery services, technical infrastructure services including those analyzing how our services are used and measuring the effectiveness of ads and services, providing customer service, facilitating payments, or conducting surveys. The following is an outline of how our vendors use your information to help us assist you.
Personal Data: email address, mailing address, first and last name
Companies: MailChimp, Hello Bar, Lead Pages, BlackBaud
Personal Data: cookies, usage data
Companies: Google Analytics
Companies: Paypal/Braintree, Classy, Patreon
Hosting and Infrastructure
Companies: DigitalOcean, Bigcommerce
Companies: Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest
Screening and Protection
Companies: Mimecast, Cloudflare
Shipping and Tracking
Companies: Shipstation, Fedex, USPS
Companies: ESP, Survey Monkey
Third Party Sharing
Occasionally we do make names and postal addresses of select donors available to reputable Catholic organizations. If you are a supporter of Catholic Answers and you do not wish to have your information exchanged with other organizations, please call us toll-free at 888-291-8000 from 9:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday to speak to one of our customer service representatives.
If you are not a Catholic Answers supporter and you have provided personal contact information on our site by registering, signing up for an email list, or sending us feedback, your information will not be exchanged.
We do make the names and given postal addresses of select donors available to reputable Catholic non-profit organizations. Catholic Answers is compensated for sharing this information. If you are not a Catholic Answers supporter and you have provided personal contact information on our site by registering, signing up for an email list, or sending us feedback, your information will not be exchanged.
To opt out of having your name exchanged with other organizations please contact us at:
Phone: Toll-free at 1-888-291-8000 9:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. PST, Monday – Friday to speak to one of our customer service representatives.
Email: Any time at [email protected] we will respond to your request within 48 hours.
Legally Required Sharing
We may disclose your information when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law, a court order or a subpoena. We may also disclose your information to prevent or investigate:
- A possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to protect the security of our sites;
- To enforce or apply our Terms of Service or other agreements; or
- To protect our or our users’ rights, property or safety.
This Policy describes some of your choices and we may ask you to indicate your choices at the time and on the page where you provide your information.
California law requires us to explain how our system responds to any “Do-Not-Track (‘DNT’) signal” delivered by your browser. We currently cannot and do not make any guarantee that we will honor DNT signals. Third parties, such as Google and others, may be able to track information through our site, social media outlets, and/or online services.
You may change your preferences regarding the use of information by notifying us in writing. If at any time you wish to be taken off our mailing lists, please contact us using the information provided or simply use the “unsubscribe” handle at the bottom of each electronic advertising or news related communication.
We use “cookies” and other technologies to collect information and support certain features. A cookie is a small file that asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added allowing web applications to tailor their operations to your interests. Typically, if you don’t wish to receive cookies, you may set your browser to reject them or to alert you when a cookie is placed on your computer (this may or may not affect your use of our sites).
Other third parties may deliver cookies to your computer or mobile device for the purpose of tracking your online behaviors over time and across nonaffiliated websites and/or delivering targeted advertisements either on this site or on other websites.
Catholic Answers is committed to helping ensure that your information remains secure. Any sensitive information we collect (such as credit card data) is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a “Verified Merchant” icon in the shop site footer and looking for “https” at the beginning of the address of our web page.
Encryption is utilized to protect sensitive information transmitted online. We also protect the information you’ve shared with us offline. Employees who require access to your information to perform specific tasks (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to the necessary personally identifiable information for their task.
We protect your non-public information in order to help protect your identity and information with the following measures:
- We encrypt all web traffic (https).
- We utilize technology controls such as encryption, firewalls, and user verification for our information systems.
- We limit physical access to our buildings and user access to our systems.
Corrections and Control
We retain your personal information we collect for as long as necessary to provide the services, products, and information you request, or as long as permitted or required by applicable law.
Depending on applicable law you may have the right to:
- Erasure/Deletion – the deletion of all your data from our systems and records. This will be performed within 30 days. The US, California, and other jurisdictions have laws that prohibit complete “erasure” or “deletion” of certain information under certain circumstances. Upon request for erasure/deletion, you will be notified of any applicable restrictions or limitations to your request.
- Deidentification – this is a process that involves dissociating certain information in order to prevent identification of you with that information. This is also subject to legal and contractual limitations.
- Correction – if we got something wrong about you we want to correct it right away (usually within 30 days).
- Access – it’s your information after all, within 30 days (under most circumstances) we will provide you with a machine-readable copy of your information and how it is/was used free of charge. Additional copies may have a fee. You can request this for your own use or to have it transferred to another data controller.
- Objection – at any time you can object to the use of your information. We will stop storing or using your data, except where necessary to complete contractual or legal obligations, until the issue is corrected or erasure is requested.
- Restriction – you may limit the use of your data for specific purposes or to prevent specific uses.If at any time you wish to inquire about or exercise any of these rights, please contact us with your specific request and concerns:Phone: Toll-free at 1-888-291-8000 9:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. PST, Monday – Friday to speak to one of our customer service representatives.Email: Any time at [email protected] we will respond to your request within 48 hours.
Other Legal Provisions
Catholic Answers is a U.S. corporation and its sites, social media presence, and online services are designed and generally intended for a U.S. audience. The servers that support our digital presence and on which we store the information you provide to us electronically may be located in a country other than where you reside. U.S. data protection laws may provide more or less as much protection as the data protection laws in force in some other countries. If you are located in a country other than the United States, by using this site, social media outlet, or online service you consent to the transfer of your information to the United States and to be subject to its laws and regulations.
This Policy shall be governed under the laws of the State of California, United States of America without regard to its conflicts of law provisions.
This Policy may be supplemented, amended, or even replaced by additional privacy notices (“Privacy Notices”), typically provided at the time we collect your information. We reserve the right to update or modify the Policy or any Privacy Notice at any time without prior notice.